Birmingham Asset & Property Division Lawyer

Dividing up the marital property in a divorce can be a difficult task. If the parties cannot agree on how all the assets and property should be divided, then it is up to the judge to decide what kind of distribution would be equitable and fair to both parties.

In Alabama, property division is governed by the equitable distribution law. This means that marital property is divided fairly, but not necessarily equally, between the spouses.

Marital property includes all property and assets acquired by either spouse during the marriage, with some exceptions for certain types of property. Separate property includes property that was acquired by a spouse before the marriage, inherited property, and gifts given to one spouse.

When dividing marital property, the court will consider factors such as the length of the marriage, each spouse’s contribution to the marriage, the age and health of each spouse, and the future earning potential of each spouse. The court may also consider any misconduct by either spouse that contributed to the breakdown of the marriage.

It’s important to note that Alabama is an “equitable division” state, which means that the court has broad discretion to divide marital property in a way that it deems fair and reasonable. Therefore, it is important to consult with a qualified family law attorney in Alabama to understand how the law may apply to your specific case.

Contact A Birmingham Asset & Property Division Attorney

For more information about property division in Alabama, contact our office request a consultation. No matter what your family law matter entails, you can be rest assured that our law firm has the knowledge and skill needed to represent you. We focus exclusively on family law and are prepared to provide the tailored representation and counsel that you need to get the best possible results. Call TODAY for help!


Fields marked with an * are required

I Have Read The Disclaimer *
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Skip to content